miércoles, 21 de julio de 2010

El reto de Julio - ¡¡¡booooooooooooooomba!!! (de helado)


The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

--English version after the jump, at the end--

Este mes me he divertido de lo lindo con el reto y he hecho un gran descubrimiento: hacer helado en casa no solo es fácil sino que es delicioso. De hecho, voy a investigar más porque una vez he visto cómo hacer helado y lo bien que queda, me ha picado la curiosidad hacer sorbetes. Tengo todo el verano para hacer pruebas y para comer los errores (¿también los aciertos, eh? :-) )

Sunita nos retó para hacer una bomba de helado: una tarta helada recubierta con brazo de gitano y que tenga tres capas de helado dentro. La receta original se basaba en un brazo de gitano de cacao relleno de crema de vainilla, y helado de chocolate, vainilla y una capa intermedia de salsa de chocolate (fudge).

Como el mes pasado ya tomé todo el chocolate que me podría pedir el cuerpo en un año (no soy muy chocolatera, se nota), decidí dejar volar la imaginación, y hacer un poco de brainstorming con el maridín para intentar hacer algo original. Y, como es bastante habitual, tuvo una excelente idea: ¿cuál es la tarta que más me gusta? La de manzana. ¡¡Pues haz una tarta de manzana helada!!

Y a ello me puse.

Para el brazo de gitano, me decidí por un bizcocho de limón y vainilla y una crema de canela. Para los helados, canela y caramelo (con su toque de sal, cuya receta ya publiqué aquí). La capa intermedia sería de manzana salteada con mantequilla, azúcar moreno y un toque de canela.


Hacer el bizcocho de brazo de gitano no fue problemático, la crema tampoco. Hacer los helados llevaba su tiempo pero no supuso ninguna dificultad. Y ahora las cosas que hice mal:

1) las "lonchas" de brazo de gitano me quedaron demasiado gruesas (solo lo refrigeré, no lo congelé, y si lo cortaba más fino se me desmoronaba - así que la próxima vez lo congelaré aunque solo sea media hora, para poder hacer rebanadas más finas.

2) el helado de canela no estaba suficientemente helado cuando lo eché sobre el brazo de gitano y se salió por los huecos, haciendo que la superficie quedara "feucha"

3) añadí las manzanas antes de que el helado se hubiera cuajado lo suficiente, perdiendo la apariencia de "capa" y mezclándose con el helad. Aprendí la lección, porque el helado de caramelo lo añadí después de haber dejado congelar bien la manzana y con la textura adecuada, y se puede ver que esa capa sí quedó bien.

Tengo que decir que repetiría esta receta pero quizá sin la capa de brazo de gitano, que me pareció un poco "pesada" desde el punto de vista de textura. Quizá porque con los calores madrileños lo único que apetecía era el helado.

Pero la combinación de sabores quedó totalmente a mi gusto. Y además con esta tarta celebramos la victoria de España en el mundial de fútbol. Y os aseguro que estuvo riquísima.


La receta la podéis descargar de aquí.

English version

I've had a wonderful time this month making the challenge, and made a great discovery: home-made ice cream is not only easy but delicious! In fact, I'm going to be doing some more research because I'd love to try sorbets. I have all summer to give that a try and make as many mistakes as possible (hopefully, we'll get to eat all the successes :-) ).

Sunita (can I thank you enough?!) challenged us to make an ice-cream bomb: a frozen cake covered with a swiss roll and with three separate ice-cream layers inside. Her recipe involved chocolate swiss roll with vanilla, chocolate and fudge layers.

I had enough chocolate for all my life in last month's challenge (I'm not too much of a chocolate person, you know), so I let imagination fly and see what I could come up with. I did some brainstorming with my hubby, and as usual, he had a great idea and asked me what my favorite cake was. Of course, I answered apple pie. Soooo, make a frozen apple pie!!!

And so, I "got my arms deep in flour" once again :-)

For the swiss roll, I decided on lemon & vanilla cake with a cinnamon cream inside. For ice-creams, I devised cinnamon, caramel (with a salty touch, I blogged about it already here). The middle layer would be an apple filling (sauted apples with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar)


Making and rolling the cake for the swiss roll was quite easy. Making the cinnamon cream, no problem. Making the ice-creams was only time consuming. But I did too a few things wrong:

1) the swiss roll slices were too thick (I guess I should have frozen the roll a bit, and not just refrigerate it, because I tried cutting them thinner but they collapsed or broke)

2) the cinnamon ice-cream was too runny (should have frozen it an extra half an hour), so when I poured it over the swiss roll layer it got in between all the slices and I ended up with an ugly exterior)

3) i added the apple mixture too soon, the cinnamon ice-cream wasn't set enough, so the apple pieces "fell through" the ice-cream, so I didn't get a propper second layer.

However, I learned my lesson, and only added the caramel ice-cream two hours after that. As you can see in the picture, that is the only "real" layer in the cake.

I _have_ to make this again, but I might skip the swiss roll part, it was a bit too rich for me. Maybe because it's so smotheringly hot here in Madrid, the only thing that goes down well is ice-cream :-)

However, flavor wise the combination was almost perfect for a very special occasion: Spain's victory in the World Soccer Championships. Maybe because of that (I hope that maybe not :-) ) everybody thought the cake was awesome!


The original recipe can be downloaded from here.

5 comentarios:

  1. OK..even though I cannot read Spanish well, the eyes are key here, and your swiss roll bombe looks gorgeous and delicious!! Beautifully done!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I can only remember a few words from my spanish class... Excellente!
    Vivian

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Thanks so much Lisa and Vivian for your nice comments :-) English post is finally up, sorry it took so long...

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Love your "apple pie" idea! Your bombe looks really beautiful! Thanks for your lovely comment on my post!
    Like you, I'm definitely going to make more homemade ice cream :o)

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Wow esta bomba se ve deliciosa y la capa de manzana con canela me encanta, ya me imagino lo delicioso que quedó.
    Felicidades por el triunfo de España en el mundial.

    ResponderEliminar

Siempre me interesa saber qué piensas, déjame un comentario.
I'm always interested on knowing what you think, leave a comment.